Congratulations on completing the 2016-17 season as a new ski or snowboard instructor, and welcome back for winter 17-18!
Returning to Vail for another season is a slightly different process than being newly hired. This information is intended to assist you with the changes to your job requirements and on-boarding:
- Do you intend to return for the 2017-18 season?
- Yes? Complete the background check by September 11.
- No? Let your Location Manager know by September 11.
- If you desire to change your work commitment (full-time to part-time or other changes) discuss with your Location Manager by September 11.
- Background Check: Every season you will be required to complete the background check. An email was sent on Wednesday, July 29 to every instructor detailing the first steps in completing this process. Please let your Location Manager know if you did not receive this email or if you have questions.
- Hiring Paperwork: The background check needs to be completed before completing your instructor paperwork. If your July 29 email included the “separated instructor application” you will need I-9 documentation (current and original passport OR driver’s license with social security card or birth certificate).
Please look for Vail Instructor News this fall for additional updates that will inform you as to where and when paperwork can be completed.
- Returning Instructor Training: The training requirements for returning instructors are very different from the New Hire Training you received last season. You’ll be expected to attend Season Kickoff, complete the Safety Quiz, and attend some additional sophomore and returning instructor training.
- Season Kickoff: As a returning instructor you will receive an invite to Season Kickoff, tentatively scheduled for November 14 or 15. Kickoff is an annual event to welcome back our instructors, provide updates on changes that will affect how you do your job, and get stoked for the coming season. Season Kickoff is required and paid training, so you must complete the Background Check before attending. These requirements are non-negotiable! Your attendance is highly encouraged, especially as you’re entering your second season. If you cannot attend there will be make-up training that you must complete before teaching.
- Safety Quiz: Just like last season, you’ll need to complete the online Safety Quiz. Once you are activated as an employee, you’ll receive an email with the link to complete the Safety Quiz. You won’t be able to take the Safety Quiz until you receive that email.
- Additional Training: Finally, we typically offer specific prescribed training for sophomores with a focus on dialing you further into the products that you regularly work. Additional training requirements for the 2015-16 season are still in development, so stay tuned for more information on these training offerings.
We know this is a complex process, and we’re here to help. If you need any additional clarification or help during this process, please reach out to your Location Manager directly.
Starting new professions are among the hardest adjustments we make in our adult lives – thank you for making that journey with Vail Ski & Snowboard School. We look forward to working with you again this season.